Friday, January 12, 2007

Go ahead Ma, ask me what I did today!

We spend a large part of every day doing lot many things. Especially a large section of every weekday (more than 9 hrs on an average) is invested at work.
In these nine hours as a planner or a creative strategist, as Manish Sinha would put it, we do many things - covering some Asses, taking some; creating some ideas and peeing on some.
Well, all of this is simple to explain to anyone who understands advertising but what about those who do not.
While driving home last evening I tried thinking of how I would explain what I do in a day to someone who does not, for good or bad I don’t know, understand advertising. I am sure many of us would have already found ourselves in strange ‘verbal jam’ explaining to our Buaji (Aunt) or our father’s Phuphaji (Grand Aunt) about what is exactly that we do at work.
Coincidently the answer to how we would explain our work to our Granny or Grandson also has the ability to give us quick quality check on how great is our work.
Because when one tries to breakdown or interpret the meaning of our daily work in simple English or Hindi it gives us an idea of how good, new, interesting or exciting it really is.
So the next time you want to check how is your work – just try and think how you’d explain it your Mom or the little nephew and you’d have the answer yourself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

brother - i hold a contrarian view on this...
why do i need to explain what i do to my bua, or nephew the way it is...does a NASA scientist or sb working on the genome project or a professional bird watcher do that. depends...
why this insecurity/ amxiety/ constant need to justify about what we do? chill

well what i say to my circle of influence/ dependency

to my father - National Planning Director(guess he loves the world National and Director). He still hasn't forgiven me for not sitting for the IAS:-)

To my mother - consumer research bordering on psychology..she is a psychology prof!!

To my brother - even paced life, okay money, a career i am passionate about. Dont think these days he cares(he is 22 and at P&G)

to my wife - no need to tell, she now knows an equal measure and though she is in HR, at times she is analytical as a planner...

to my distant relatives - neighbour to SRK. "Must be doing sth good" LOL

to my nephews and nieces. I make the ads you see on TV. Truth well told:-)

To my friends in marketing. You have the money, I have the time/fun...

To my son. My office is as good as your play-house. The only time he loves his papa more than his mama...But then i am lucky with my office space...

To my students/ any student...account planning is a sexy career. You do what you want. Even some creatives(types) now want to be planners LOL

Lets enjpy the craft... keep it simple and yet mysterious...

Account planning is a huge continuum between 'Being a rockstar' and being a 'loser'. any thots on the last comment !!

'saurabh - ur blog looks and feels awesome now!